Thursday, February 3, 2011

CapMac

The food truck tour continues with a the CapMac truck. This truck travels throughout the city slinging their creative take on Mac & Cheese, a staple in most American households. When I first heard of the truck I immediately became overrun with anticipation of trying this gourmet mac & cheese.

Doing a little research I found out that the head Chef, Brian Arnoff previously worked at Bourbon Steak in the Four Seasons Hotel under the tutelage of Executive Chef David Varley. Having eaten at the Bourbon Steak before and thoroughly enjoyed their gourmet spin-offs of traditional non-gourmet meals I was under the impression that the same thing would be done with this food truck.



I first visited this food vendor on a cold day on the George Washington University campus. I invited two of my coworkers one of which shares my enthusiasm for mac & cheese. We all ordered their CapMac'n Cheese which consists of Pimento and Cheddar cheese topped with Cheeze-It crackers which costs $6. For an additional $2 you can add Bolognese and "make it sloppy". We all decided to forgo this option for different reasons. I also ordered the soup du jour which was a broccoli cheddar soup.

We took our food in the Marvin center and dug in. I started out with my soup which strayed from what I thought it would be. The soup was fresh and hearty, the rich flavor of the soup as well as the texture illustrated the prominence of the broccoli which was palpable with every spoonful I took. The soup was definitely made from scratch and included ground broccoli root mixed which blended well with the cheddar cheese. I can easily say that this was the rendition of broccoli cheddar that I have ever had at this point in my life.

Next I moved on to the dish that I had been waiting in anticipation for some time. I dug into my mac & cheese and was greeted by the harmonious blend of both the cheeses. The crunchy component of the cracker added to this dish giving it another dimension and aided in the texture of the dish. Sadly I have to say that my tremendous expectations were not met. While I did enjoy my meal I left feeling as though the dish had much more potential.I have sampled serveral gourmet mac & cheese dishes in this city and this one did not meet my mark. While good I see room for growth and improvement.

(Broccoli Cheddar Soup & CapMac'n Cheese)

Despite that I enjoyed my experience so much that I decided to sample another dish off of their menu. This time I decided to try their Chicken Parmesan Meatballs which consist of house ground chicken, parmesan served with a provolone bechamel.

To sum it up I devoured this meal within ten minutes feeling tremendously satisfied. The chicken meatballs were savory and juicy and the pasta that accompanied it was pristine. I can easily say that I enjoyed this dish more than the mac & cheese and was on par with the expectations I had for this truck.


(Chicken Parmesan Meatballs)

As you can see in this video Chef Arnoff prides himself on serving residents of District with good affordable food. I had the pleasure of talking to him twice (I did not mention that I blog about food). He came off as very nice and sincere about his mission which I believe he is doing very well.

The food that he served me on both occasions was fairly priced and very good. I wish him luck and hope that he will expand on his ideas because I believe that this truck has tremendous potential. The truck is still in it's infant stages so hopefully my wishes will come to fruition. I only hope that he will expand on his mac & cheese and offer a variety of flavors in the future (lobster mac & cheese please!!!).

Quick info - the lines weren't too long when I went but I have seen long lines there before. They only take cash at this point so be aware. Their website is still in the works to you can follow them on Facebook for daily locations. Your food takes less than 5 minutes to prepare. In the meantime you can talk to the clientele if the lines aren't too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment