Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Dangerously Delicious Pies - Food Truck

Our next stop on the food truck tour takes us to Dangerously Delicious Pies. The origins of this truck trace back to a pie shop in Baltimore founded by Rodney Henry over ten years ago. They have since branched out to DC, opening up shop in the up and coming H St. neighborhood.

Their rebel appearance is derived from Mr. Henry who opened the shop primarily to pay for the expenses he incurred while playing for a rock band he was in. Renowned for their culinary excellence in dishing out both sweet and savory pies this franchise has been awarded several accolades and media attention.


I was finally able to try them during and impromptu food truck gathering at Franklin Square a couple of weeks ago. Myself along with my sister and a coworker went to sample the wide variety of food trucks that I have yet to try.

I decided to get a slice of their renowned Baltimore Bomb while my sister got a slice of cherry.
The bomb consists of Berger cookies which were invented in Baltimore and a sweet vanilla chess filling. The Cherry pie which is an American staple and one of their most popular slices, especially in the summer. Once we finished our lunch we dug into them.

Upon taking my first bite the first thought that came into my mind and was accidently blurted out was "Wow, this is a FUCKING GOOD PIE". Pardon my French or lack of constraint in this instance but this was the singular thought that was embedded into my mind while I was devouring this delectable slice.

(Baltimore Bomb)

There is no way to describe the taste of this food orgasm, to me it tasted like a smore with some custard. Take my advice, this is a slice of pie that you must try before you die.

My sister was a bit unimpressed by her slice, she let me sample it to see if I would concur with her judgements. Sadly I would have to agree, while I am not the greatest fan of cherry pie I have had it at a number of local diners and would have to say that those are superior.

(Cherry Pie)

In the end we thoroughly enjoyed both the experience and the meal itself. The staff were very friendly in answering my numerous questions that helped provide the information for this post.

If you want a savory slice I would recommend the S.M.O.G. (steak, mushrooms, onions and gruyere) or the Pork BBQ. They also serve quiche from time to time, it was recently on Throwdown with Bobby Flay so it must meet up to it's hype.

Prices vary with sweet slices costing $6.50 and savory slices costing $7.50. They do take both cash and credit, the lines are not long and the service is fantastic. I highly recommend trying this truck. You can track their location by looking at their Twitter and Facebook accounts.

I will be doing a separate post in the future dedicated to their store as they have different deals and more options. Look for it in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment