Saturday, December 25, 2010

BGR The Burger Joint

My quest to find the best burger in DC takes me to one of the local titans. BGR The Burger Joint along with Five Guys, Fuddruckers and Rogue States Burgers have made Dupont Circle the place to be for quality burgers. Aside from Fuddruckers every one of these restaurants originated in the area which makes my search that much more authentic.

Located right on the circle The Burger Joint prides itself on serving a array of unique gourmet burgers. Each burger is masterfully concocted and offers a unique taste experience. Taking a look at their menu illustrates both the quality and distinction behind each individual burger.

(Picture brought to you by Price of Petworth)

During my first visit I decided to try The Burger which was described by GQ as "One of the greatest burgers in the world you must have before you die" and the burger that put this restaurant on the map. Reading this on the menu my friend and I thought it was our duty as culinary explorers to try this.

Upon eating my first bite I immediately had a new standard for what a burger should be. The quality of the meat which was cooked a perfect medium rare as I asked was superb. It was topped with the works and their special mojo sauce. Both my friend and I thoroughly enjoyed our meal which came with what I think are the best french fries in the city.

(The Burger)

After trying the burger I found it paramount to sample the whole menu to see if they could replicate the brilliance of The Burger. I decided order The Wellington which comes with deep roasted mushrooms, caramelized onions, garlic, blue cheese and black truffles. I also got a side order of french fries topped with rosemary seasoning. Needless to say my refined expectations were met, the burger was well seasoned, cooked as I specified and came with a generous portion fungi (both the truffles and roasted mushrooms).

The specific combination of ingredients formed harmoniously to create a magnificent dish that bordered on culinary genius. The fries were also generously bathed with fresh rosemary which rendered a perfect compliment to my succulent burger. My only complaint about the meal was that the bun was not suited to handle either of our burgers. It began to fall apart while we were eating our burgers, more so on my friends than mine.

(The Wellington and French Fries with Rosemary)

The next burger I decided to try was The Greek which was featured on Food Network's Throwdown with Bobby Flay and ended up wining. The burger consists of ground lamb seasoned with cumin, mint and garlic. It is then garnished with feta and tzatziki sauce. I have had the pleasure of ordering this burger on a number of occasions and consider it to be one of my favorite gourmet burgers in the city.

I recommend it served medium-rare and coupled with french fries seasoned with rosemary as they compliment each other perfectly. The burger is pristine but a bit on the pricey side for the meal you are getting. Regardless it lives up to hype of beating Bobby Flay.

(The Greek and French Fries with Rosemary)

What separates The Burger Joint from any of their competitors in my opinion is the wide variety of different burgers and the spectrum of taste that they encompass. Aside from the burgers mentioned above they have a tuna burger, an award winning lobster roll and even a 9 pound burger that you have to order a day in advance.

There are also burgers of the month that revolve around both popular culture and local news. From The Strasburger named after Nationals phenom to the Snooki Burger which is as ridiculous as the star its named after The Burger Joint never seems to disappoint when it comes to creativity.

(The 9 Pounder)

The Burger Joint also offers a number of sides to go with the numerous burgers. You can compliment your meal with a milk-shake or float that come in a number of flavors. You can also season your fries with parmesan cheese or roasted garlic both of which are good or you can go crazy and try their onion rings that are as big as your fist. If you are health conscious you can get sweet potato fries or grilled asparagus.

All in all The Burger Joint offers you some of the best burgers in the city. I will have to say that meals here are very pricy especially if you are treating someone. I have also heard complaints from friends that they are bit inconsistent and do tend to fudge orders, I myself have never come across this. The atmosphere is nice, lines aren't too long but seating is at a premium. They serve beer as well which is good from time to time. The customer service is good and the wait for your burger is reasonable. I highly recommend anyone in the mood for an off the wall gourmet burger to give this place a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment