Saturday, October 30, 2010

Flippin' Pizza

Washington DC like every city has its own set of characteristics; one of these axioms is the lack of quality pizza, especially pizza by the slice. Although there are an array of restaurants that serve dependable gourmet pizzas, there's hardly anywhere you can grab a good slice of pizza.

Knowing this it would not seem to be a huge accomplishment to be voted best pizza by the slice in DC, but it did arouse my attention. Which is why I decided to venture to Flippin' Pizza, both to try some authentic New York style pizza and see if it lived up to the hype.


I myself do not believe the hype surrounding NY style pizza, I have tried it on several instances both here and in the big apple. I also prefer Chicago style deep dish which to date is the best pizza I have ever eaten.

Regardless of my opinions I came in with absolute objectivity and also decided to dine with a few friends to get their perspective. We came in late on a saturday night (around 11 PM I believe) and laid our eyes on the display case featuring 6 of the 8 pies (NY lingo) they have to offer. I chose to have the Brooklyn and the Whitestone with a soda (pictured below) that set me back $5.50, a steal in this city. The brooklyn featured pepperoni, meatballs, mushrooms and garlic while the Whitstone had ricotta, mozzarella, parmesan, basil and garlic.

(Brooklyn and Whitestone Pizza)

After our meal my friends and I were very satisfied by both the quality of the ingredients and the taste rendered by their combination. I left with my appetite quenched and no complaints. I will although reserve to my right to decree this place in the pantheon of pizza paradise. It was good but I have had better in this city.

However I will highly recommend giving this place a chance. It is very cheap and is open very late, it's also a spot that you can take your friends from New York who brag about DC not having good pizza. This is also the kind of place where you can have a late night experience mingling with the inebriated crowd scurrying for a late night snack at 2 AM.

Fast service and good prices make this the ideal place for a quick lunch or snack. There isn't that much seating available so I would recommend going during off peak hours or taking it to go. They also deliver to a local radius but I did not get specifics on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment