Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Eat Wonky Food Truck

The food truck extravaganza continues with a dish inspired by our neighbors to the north. The Eat Wonky food truck is dedicated to introducing poutine to the DC area.

Poutine is a dish that originated in Quebec and is now popular throughout all of Canada. It consists of fries slathered in gravy and topped with cheese curds. I have been fortunate enough to have tried this delectable and gluttonous dish when I visited Quebec a while back. Although I cannot vividly recall this experience I do remember enjoying it.

There are also variations of poutine in the US with the most notable example being Disco fries, also known as Elvis Fries which are wildly popular in New York and New Jersey.


(Picture Brought to you by Yelp)


I was introduced to Disco fries by my college roommate from New Jersey who ate them religiously. We happened to find a couple of places in DC including The Diner in Adams Morgan as well as Pizza Bolis on U St.

Needless to say they are slowly growing in popularity with several spinoffs at restaurants which tend to substitute the original ingredients with more "American" ones such as cheddar cheese, sour cream, etc..

The Eat Wonky truck offers you a simple menu with both the traditional poutine and their own take with the former being their Wonky fries and the latter being a Wonky dog. They also offer both plain fries and hot dogs as well as a grilled cheese sandwich and whoopee pies that come in a variety of flavors.


(Photo Brought to you by Yelp)


My first experience with the Wonky truck came after a night out on U St. Being a tad bit inebriated at the time I had a natural inclination toward eating some fast food but decided to skip that and go home. On my way I discovered a food truck parked next to Solly's, I decided to take a peak at the menu and was elated to discover that this was something that wanted to try.


(Wonky Fries)


I decided split a order of Wonky fries with a friend and head home. While I don't vividly remember every detail of that particular night I can say for certain that I did remember every facet of that meal. From the friendly individual who took my order to the foodgasm that pursued and the longing for another order that terrorized me for days.

From that point I decided to follow them on Facebook in order to relive my past experience. My luck with food trucks is low mainly because I work near Georgetown where none of them seem to venture. But last week my luck was turned when I saw that they would be serving their food near George Washington University in Foggy Bottom.

On this day I decided to go solo and pack an appetite as I was preparing to tackle their monstrous Wonky Dog. I approached the truck and fearlessly ordered a Wonky Dog and Coke which set me back $7. Once it arrived I both myself and the people behind me looked in awe at this behemoth meal and I asked myself if I could really finish this.

I initially tried tackling this meal standing up which was completely wrong because my knees buckled when I took my first bite.


(Wonky Dog)


Somehow I managed to finish my meal and was forced to use the utensils given to me because of how messy it got. The poutine was pristine and the hot dog added an extra dimension to go along with the sweet and savory undertone of the meal. The standout of the dish had to be the bread which was of high quality and lightly grilled in a similar fashion to a panini. The low light to me was the hot dog which was good but would have been great if it was split in half and grilled instead of simply being boiled.

All in all my experience with the Wonky truck was great. The service is fast and friendly, the prices are very modest, and the food is scrumptulescent. So if you have an utter disregard toward your cardiovascular system or love to try something new I would give this place a shot.

Side Note: The lines can take anywhere from 5-15 minutes from my experience and they DO accept credit cards which is a huge plus because some trucks don't. As mentioned above you can track their location on Facebook or you can follow them on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment